Thursday, May 10, 2018

Chapter 3.8: Family Ties

Jolie isn't the only one with a birthday. Jude grows a year older a little bit wiser.


His hair also grows as does his interest in all things equine.


"Thanks for helping me pack," Jolie says. "I never would have known where to start."

"It was my pleasure." Rickey says. "I just can't wait to travel the world with you."
Jolie grins, "It's going to be amazing."


Where's the baby? There's the baby!


Jolie puts in a call about a houseboat. Rickey and her have pooled the little money they have to purchase a vessel.

"Drop the price by §500 and you've got a deal."

Jolie yelps with joy when her offer is accepted.


"It's time for me to leave home, dad. I'm going to travel the world with Rickey. Explore other cultures. Meet new people."
 "Are you sure that's the best idea?"

Jolie shuts her eyes tight as she briefly remembers being captured.

"I can't live the rest of my life in fear. I don't want to," she says emphatically.


Michael sniffles, "Where did the time go? Where did my shy little girl go?"
"Oh, dad," Jolie says. "You're going to make me cry."


"I promise I'll be back often," she insists.
"Let me charm you with a little bit of extra luck. Maybe it'll keep you just a tad safer."
 
Jolie hesitates, it's been a while since Amira has practiced her magic.

"Uuuuhhhh, you really don't have to. . ."
"It's the least I can do," Amira insists.

Jolie holds her breath.


The good luck charm goes off without a hitch. She feels a little lighter on her feet.

"Hhhhmmm," she says. "Thank you, mom."

"Be careful out there," Varinia says. "And don't trust strangers!"

"I promise I'll be safe, grandma."


And just like that Jolie enters the world.


Meanwhile, Michele has invited Deric out to ice skate but he's in full werewolf form. Sometimes it's annoying when all she wants to do is have a low key night. She sighs heavily when he refuses to transition back into a sim. They can't even have a conversation when he's like this.


Michele confides in Bodica.

"It's like dating a pet," she says. "Like taking a dog ice skating. Nothing about that is fun. It's just sad."

Bodica purrs and rubs against Michele's knee.

"Exactly," Michele says with a heavy sigh.


Rebecca is pretty much an obviously terrible person. She's just standing around, cackling, and rubbing her hands together while trying to think up a new con. There's always Jude, she thinks. He still owes me. I should insist on having Lindsay move in with me until he pays up. Ugh, but then I'd have to look after her too. She ponders the proposition.


Amira's voice cuts the cold silence and startles Rebecca out of her thoughts.

"I see you're shamelessly scheming away."
"Excuse me?" Rebecca scoffs. "You don't know me, old lady, and I don't owe you any explanations."


"Oh, I know more about you than you think," Amira insists. "I have connections all over this town and every one of them says you're a lowlife. Lower than garbage."

Rebecca opens her mouth to defend herself but Amira continues without acknowledging her.

"You're a sick woman, Rebecca. I can't believe I've been blind to the torment you've been causing my son-in-law."
"Son-in-law?"

Amira's glare silences her again.

"As I was saying, you've been tormenting my son-in-law and threatening to take away my granddaughter. Now, I don't expect that you know who I am, as we've never been formally introduced, but let me tell you something, Rebecca. I do not take kindly to sims that threaten my family. Jude and Lindsay are family now and I will protect my family in any way I need to. I hope I don't have to come find you again but if you give me a reason, you better have eyes in the back of your head because I will come for you when you least expect it and it won't be pretty."

Rebecca stands frozen in place, mouth agape, as she watches Amira disappear around the corner.


When Amira arrives home she finds Jude and Vera in the kitchen.

"We need to have a family meeting tomorrow morning before the girls get up for school regarding Rebecca."

Jude's jaw drops and he stammers, "Wh-aaa-aaa-tt?"
"We'll talk about it in the morning. Have a good night."

Amira leaves them standing in the kitchen in silence. She seems to be causing a lot of silence tonight.

Vera finally spins on her heels, "What is she talking about, Jude? Are you still seeing Rebecca?"
Jude's eyes widen, "What? No. I think. . . Oh, jeez. I think she found out about the deal I made with Rebecca to try to keep her away."
"What do you mean you made a deal?"
Jude scratches his neck, "Rebecca has been sort of black mailing me, kind of."
"And you didn't think that was something I should have been privy to? This is unbelievable!" Vera huffs as she stalks out of the kitchen behind her mother.


The next morning finds Varinia, Claude, Michael, Amira, Vera and Jude sitting around the kitchen table.

"What is this about?" Varinia asks.
"I found some things out from a couple of co-workers. I'll let Jude explain," Amira says.

Jude drags a heavy hand across his face.

"I have been trying to handle this on my own but, I realize now that I can't hide this from you all. My ex, Rebecca, is crazier than a flask of angry bees. She's been blackmailing me. If I don't pay her §100,000 she's going to take Lindsay away. I thought I could get the money together winning a few races with Cameo but I'm no where close to the sum."


"I never married her so I don't owe her alimony and she's never cared for Lindsay a day in her life. If she gets custody it would be devastating. More importantly, if I pay her she has promised to disappear from our lives entirely."
"She sounds like a gem," Claude interjects. "It sounds like the sooner we get her gone the better for everyone involved."


"She's an evil sim," Amira chimes in. "Just absolutely despicable. There's nothing she wouldn't do for a fast buck. She's selling her daughter for a pay day. Lindsay would be better off thinking her mother is dead."
Vera grips the table tight and grits her teeth, "She is not Lindsay's mother, I am. She never has been and she never will be."
Jude pats her knee gently and says, "You are. If I can help it Lindsay will never meet Rebecca."
"So that settles it, " Michael says. "We pay her off and she drops off the radar."
Amira sighs, "That's the best case scenario. Sims like her? They keep coming back like a bad rash but I think I might just be able to strike enough fear in her to make her hold true to her word."
"We're all in agreement? We'll pay her and hope for the best," Varinia asks.

Everyone nods except for Jude.

Jude shakes his head and shakily says, "This isn't your problem to deal with. I got myself into this mess. . ."
"Son, you and Lindsay are part of this family now, this is our problem and we will fix it together," Michael says.
"I'll withdraw the funds today," Amira says matter-of-factly.
"I'll never be able to repay this," Jude adds.
"There's nothing to repay," Vera assures him. "Lindsay is worth more to us than all the simoleons in the world."

Jude hangs his head and chokes back a sob, "Thank you. Thank you all so much."

Vera stands and hugs Jude tight.

"We'll get through this, all of us, together," Claude says.


Amira has the money to Jude before the morning is even over. He quickly calls Rebecca and asks her to meet him at Bad Guys Coffee Shop. It seemed like the most appropriate place to meet.

Not one to be outdone, Rebecca arrives in scheming fashion.


"Here's your money. §10,000 on the table for you to inspect if you are so inclined and the rest in this lock box. Here's the key."

Rebecca's eyes grow wide as she eyes the money on the table.


"We're done now. I never want to see you or hear from you again. Don't ever come near my daughter. Don't even say her name."

"This is good enough for a year," Rebecca starts. "Then, if you want to keep me away, I'll expect another §100,000 for another year of silence. Otherwise, I'll petition the courts and we all know they favor the mother."


It takes everything in him to not explode.

"You are a piece of  work, Rebecca. How about this? You take the money, you sign over your rights, you disappear, and we never hear from you again. Alternatively, I can take you to court, show records that you blackmailed me, and ensure that you go to jail."
Rebecca smirks, "That would never happen."
"Do you want to try me?"

Rebecca opens the lock box, places the §10,000 in with the rest and locks it.

"This will do," she says as she makes her way out the door, "for now."


Rebecca chuckles to herself and makes her way to the bank.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I used some lifetime happiness points to help Jude out a little bit.

Jude Van Hofwegen
Technophobe
*Equestrian*
Bookworm
Charismatic
Green Thumb
*LTW:  The Jockey*

4 comments:

  1. Is there a fictional Becky that ISN'T just the worst?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sensing a theme. LOL Seriously, she is the absolute worst! Every time I check in on her she is making evil/scheming faces or laughing like a maniac. I'm trying to decide if Amira will have to follow up on her threat or not.

      Delete
  2. Bad Guys coffee Shop, is that place downloadable? xD I think we all need one of these in our games... how plot-developy it sounds.

    The family sure decided to pay her off quickly, that entrance she made was great. Scheming and thinking about money.

    (In other news, Becky is the name of my husband's ex IRL, but she's not a horrible person- I'm just glad she's not in our lives.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bad Guys Coffee Shop is in Storybrook County which you can find here: http://www.mysimrealty.com/WORLDS_StorybrookCounty.html
      I don’t think the lot is available on its own. I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to conduct nefarious dealings in such an aptly named lot.

      Rebecca has been threatening Jude since Lindsay became a toddler and I think there may have been some throw away mentions of her and her dealing before then. She’s not a particularly patient sim so I figured it was high time to pay her off or lose Lindsay. Rebecca is a fantastic sim. She lives up to her ill repute perfectly.

      I have actually never met a Rebecca or Becky (of note) in my real life. It’s kind of shocking considering how popular the name is.

      Delete