Saturday, July 9, 2016

Chapter 2.13: Out of This World

This robbery goes amiss almost immediately. The criminals scatter as the police give chase. Amira is running with everything she has. If she doesn't get home tonight she knows Michael will lose it. She knows Vera and Dahlia will wonder what happened. She knows Varinia and Claude will worry. Freedom is so close.


Officer Stanton catches up to Amira and tackles her.
"Not so fast, Van Hofwegen! I don't know where you're from but we frown upon that kind of criminal behavior in these parts. you're coming downtown with me!"
"I'm not a criminal," Amira pleads. "I'm really not. I'm just trying to help the families of Twinbrook. I could help your family!"
"Are you trying to bribe an officer of the law? Get in the cruiser!"


Calude tries to help Vera with her homework but she breezes through it before he can give any input.
"Is mom home yet?" she asks.
"I don't think so."
"I have to go to school soon. She's usually home by now."
Claude nods and tries to calm the flurry in his gut.


"That isn't right, grandma!"
"This does not resemble correct math standards."
Dahlia sighs, "It's common core."


Michael sneaks out of the house in a huff. Amira's been released from custody but needs someone to pick her up. He's going to be late for work, his pants are too tight and his stomach hurts. This day cannot get any worse.


"My mom or dad could have come. You're going to be late for work."
"I needed the car. Plus, they're keeping the girls distracted," Michael bites out.
His tone ignites Amira's anger.
"I don't understand why you're upset. I'm the one that got arrested not you. They didn't even have enough evidence to hold me!"
Michael slams his hands on the steering wheel.
"It's not all about YOU, Amira. You keep forgetting that you have a family, that you have two daughters that depend on you. That if something happens to you it affects ALL of us. Why can't you see that?"
Amira huffs and crosses her arms.


Michael rushes off to work without another word.


His boss doesn't notice his tardiness. When he gets a crippling stomachache his boss insists that he seek treatment.
"Go to the hospital. What if you have a ruptured appendix?"
Michael grunts as he collects his things.
"I'll see you all tomorrow."
Michael makes it home just in time to feel a burning sensation that emits sparks from his belly.
"What is happening?"
Amira stares blankly unsure of what is underway.


A green baby materializes in Michael's arms.
"Wha? What is it?"
"It's a baby," Michael says shakily. "It's a freaking baby."
"Where the heck did it come from?" Amira squeaks out. "Send it back!"
"What? I'm not sending her back. I think she's mine."
"What are we going to do with it?" Amira shrieks.
She can feel herself coming unraveled but is unable to stop herself from freaking out.
"She's mine," Michael murmers. "She's mine."

Michael slumps to the floor and cradles the tiny baby.
"Are you ok? Michael? MICHAEL?"
"Can you just go? Please? I need a few minutes."
"I, I. . .Okay?"
Amira leaves the room and heads straight for a computer. This cannot be normal. This cannot be real.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Interlude to show off new construction~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~





Michael manages to compose himself. The little girl's cries rouse him from his state of shock. He feeds her and changes her diaper and she coos at him. She is otherworldly but he feels protective of her. This is his little girl. His third daughter and he finds himself delighted to have her.

"Hi Jolie," he coos. "Hello little one. Are you ready to meet your big sisters?"
Jolie gurgles happily and reaches for his nose.

Vera and Dahlia arrive home from school together.


Dahlia only wants to know one thing, Will daddy still have time to read to me?


Michael takes a deep breath and starts in, "Girls, meet your baby sister, Jolie."
"What?" Vera asks.
Dahlia just frowns.
"I don't know how to explain it because I don't remember what happened but this baby, this is my daughter and your sister."
"Wow. I don't really know what to say. This is so weird."
"Are you still going to have time for me? Will you still read me books before bed?" Dahlia asks as she wipes a few stray tears from her eyes.
"Of course I'll still have time for you. I'll still have time for both of you. I don't love either of you any less."
"You promise?" Dahlia sniffles.
"I promise," Michael confirms.


Michael makes sure to put Jolie to bed in time to spend time with his older daughters. He plays a lively game of chess with Vera. Then Michael reads The Warlock of Palladia to Dahlia. Dahlia grins excitedly and enjoys her one on one time.


Amira goes to the new nursery to investigate. It's definitely a baby. One look at her confirms Amira's suspicions. She's an alien baby.


Amira has to get out of the house. She decides to go for a run even though it is raining. She has too many feelings and no idea how to handle them. She's angry for one. She does not want to have to raise another child. Her two are hard enough. All she wants to do is concentrate on excelling at work and ensuring that her daughters graduate high school. Now there is this alien and Michael won't just leave the baby in a field to be picked up by aliens. She doesn't want this. She doesn't want this to be her life.


Amira stops to speak to Maeve and get her medical expertise.
"What are the odds that this child is even biologically his?"
"I don't think that really matters," Maeve counters. "He carried her and birthed her. He brought her into this world. Of course he's going to be attached to her."
"I have no interest in raising another child."
"Sometimes you do things you don't want to do for the sake of the people you love."


 Vera receives a text from Freddie Bayless. She's had a crush on him all year! He wants to know if she'd like to hang out.


"I'll just say, 'Hi, Freddie. Do you want to go to prom?' and he'll say 'Sure, Vera. That sounds great!' And he won't think I'm a lunatic for talking to myself.


Varinia does not approve of these silly little dolls. Dahlia doesn't care. She's feeling lonely today.


Michael is too busy tending to a screaming infant.


Freddie swoons slightly when Vera arrives.
"Hi."
"Hi."
Freddie takes a big gulp of air.
"Thanks for coming over. I just wanted to hang out a bit and tell you I think you're awe. . .."
"Do you want to go to prom?" Vera blurts out.
Her eyes go wide when she realizes what she's said.
Freddie grins, "Do you usually interrupt people?"
"I am so sorry, Freddie!"
"I'd love to go to prom with you."


Scrub, scrub, scrub. Alien germs are everywhere in this house.


Vera agrees to meet Freddie out for Spooky Day. She dresses as a bunny. The skirt is much shorter than anything she would ever wear to school. But it's Spooky Day.


Dahlia dresses as a scuba diver. Her grandparents are playing another symphony, her dad is busy taking care of Jolie, her mother is at work (of course!) and Vera has a date. Dahlia doesn't want to go trick or treating alone and instead she goes inside and plays alone in her room.


Vera bumps into her cousin Alonzo out trick or treating alone.


"Why didn't you take your sister? She sat in her room crying all night."
"I had a date, dad. Why couldn't you take her."
Michael frowns.
"Jolie wasn't feeling well."
"It's not my fault. I thought you would take her or at least grandma or grandpa."
"I'll go talk to her. I'm sure she's feeling very left out."


No one notices this being spying on the house.


Jolie's birthday comes quickly.


Everyone is thrilled that the infant days are behind them.


Alien indeed.


This is the first family meal they have had in a very long time. Early morning birthday cake gets them all around the table but the peace does not last long.


"Michael, I don't know if I can do this anymore. You've been stagnant in your career and I feel like I work so hard to support you and our daughters and now this . . .thing. You contribute almost nothing to the family funds. You take no pride in your job It's embarrassing!"


"It should embarrass you that your daughters barely know you not that I have taken time off work to raise them! It's our wedding anniversary and you want to fight because I'm not working right now. I'll have you know I'm returning to work in two days."
Amira's words drip with sarcasm, "I'm happy to hear it. Will you be getting a promotion any time soon or just floundering like you have been for years?"


"I can't do this right now. I have a plane to catch. I don't know when I'll be back!"
"Just run away then," Michael growls. "It's the only thing you know how to do well!"
Michael regrets his words as soon as he's said them.
"Amira, I didn't mean that."
Amira glares at him and walks out the door.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Jolie Van Hofwegen
Slob
Light Sleeper

I've never had an alien abduction result in male pregnancy. I thought the unexpected weight gain had something to do with the couch potato trait. Boy was I wrong! Jolie was an very unexpected surprise and I was so angry that I finally got an alien baby and it was in the one game I desperately did not want an alien baby in. I kept her anyway because I've never had an alien baby. I've exceeded the # of children roll by 1.

9 comments:

  1. "This cannot be normal. This cannot be real."

    I gotta say, Amira is right! That alien baby is freaky! ... Even though Amira is part alien herself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had an alien baby before so this was quite the shock for me. Also, this baby is so weird looking. i don't like it!

      Amira is part alien and yet she's never known anything alien.

      Yay to being caught up!

      Delete
    2. I'm guessing the alien that abducted her husband was an entirely different species of alien? Or will this be an intro to more backstory? :D

      Delete
    3. I'm going with different species. The aliens in this game are so elusive and creepy.

      Delete
  2. Oh! And I'm all caught up. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sigh. At least Michel is thrilled! Poor Dahlia though. She was worried about the new baby making her the monkey in the middle though.

    Varinia and Claude's homework help was awesome. Down with Common Core!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael loves being a dad. He's really good at it even if he has been stuck at level 5 in his career for what feels like an eternity. Dahlia hates being the middle child.

      Common core is an abomination. Varinia agrees.

      Delete
  4. Ugh, what a shock for Amira! She didn't want any more children already and now she has to raise another one :/ I had a similar unplanned alien pregnancy happen in my legcay - very annoying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so livid when it happened. I didn't even realize what it was until it was too late. My poor husband kept asking me why I was so mad and I had to explain how I've been playing ITF since it came out and THIS is the game that decides to finally give me an alien pregnancy. UGH!

      Delete