Thursday, July 14, 2016

Chapter 2.14: Field Trip to Save a Marriage

Michael arrives in Shang Simla in secret. Somehow Amira did not notice him on the plane or in the airport. She was probably too engrossed in planning a heist or something.

He's startled to find her sobbing outside the base camp.


She doesn't notice him as she runs off. She has to be at the Phoenix Martial Arts Academy before 9 am. Her boss has instructed her to get several hours of martial arts training.


Michael looks at the job board posted outside their base camp and wonders what his wife might be up to. A posting catches his eye. Seeking Adventure? it reads. Michael reads it thoroughly taking down a name and address. If he could find an ancient relic, something of value, if he could set out on his own adventure, would Amira view him differently? Michael wonders.


Amira arrives with only a minute to spare. Her classmate, Tawana Sargeant, is darting up the hill to the academy at full speed. Amira follows right behind her.


She starts her training immediately, she doesn't even have time to change. It doesn't seem like it should be
very hard but she misses some punches and has trouble kicking the wooden dummy.

"Focus!" the instructor shouts. "Do not let your troubles affect your accuracy."

Amira breathes in deep and exhales calming her nerves and her mind. She focuses on the task at hand and lets all her problems slip away.


A local by the name of Bao Louie sends Michael off to explore the Halls of the Lost Army. Michael is terrified, nervous, and exhilarated all at once. He wonders what Amira's face will look like when he showers her with treasure.


The Halls of the Lost Army are a tourist attraction but, when Michael arrives, there is no line to get in.


Amira tries to focus all her anger and disappointment into this one object.
"Take that!" she grunts. "And that! And this! AAAAHHHHHH!"


There's a note scrawled into the bricks, Every good explorer should carry a tent and dried food at all times! The stairs closed behind me, but luckily, I'm prepared. I'm confident I'll find a way out any day now. . .
Michael almost turns back. Instead, he calls his wife and leaves her a message.



Is this enough money to buy Amira a new car? The first room he enters holds glittering gold and Michael greedily picks it up and stuffs it in his pack.


Before lunch Amira has earned her first belt. She shows off her skills to the entire class.


She gets an unexpected voicemail during the lunch break.

It's Michael. I just, uh, I wanted you to know that I followed you to Shang Simla but not in the way you think. I wanted to show you, to prove to you that I am worthy of you. I took on a job and I'm going to explore a local tomb. If I don't return, know that I love you. I have always loved you. Give my love to my girls.

Amira is dumbfounded. She wants to go after him but she has no idea where he could be. The worry grips her lungs tight making it difficult to breathe. Is this what it's like for him every time I go to work?


Trusty pick axe. It came with his lightweight pack.


Amira returns to class and fights through her worry. She buries her anxiety deep. Focusfocusfocusfocus. Her determination earns her another belt and more skill. Soon she will surpass her own boss's skill in martial arts.


Michael probably shouldn't be this excited to be putting his arm into a mysterious hole but, you only live once. Plus, he's still stoked about the couple of pieces of jade he found in some chest earlier.


It's a dive well. Michael doesn't remember reading anything about dive wells in the pamphlets for Shang Simla but then again, this is hardly the touristy part of this town.


Bottoms up, literally. Michael finds the ancient relic, and a few other trinkets, in the next room. He gingerly packs everything into his bag and exits the tomb.


He is ravished when he leaves.
"I'd like your largest plate of dim sum, ma'am and one of each of your recipe books and some comics. Souveniers," Michael chuckles.
The merchant happily packs up his items.


Michael eats his dim sum alone on the patio. His phone has six messages from Amira but he's not ready to call her back yet.


Unaware to either of them, Amira is having some egg rolls in the shop. She's anxiously waiting to hear from him.


Michael walks in to buy one more thing, he spots Amira at the table. She jumps up and runs over.
"You're ok!"
"I am. I'm sorry if I scared you. I just wanted to prove something to you and to myself, I guess."
"I was scared. Really scared. I'm sorry I've put you through that every night I go to work."
Michael looks at his shoes and nods, "It's scary when you go. I have to trust in you, though. I've figured that out now."
"I still love you," Amira admits. "I have been focusing on the wrong things and I forgot why I fell in love with you in the first place. You never judged me and you never compromised yourself."
"I got you something while exploring." 


Amira opens the box to find a precious stone.
"It's beautiful."
"Just like you."


Reconciled.


Really reconciled.


Michael and Amira decide to try to conquer the Dragon Cave together.


Michael proudly shows off his skills. He can find secret passages.


Piles of gold everywhere.


"Nothing in this one," Amira calls out.


Michael attempts to freshen up while Amira investigates the sarcophagus further.


These boxes are disorienting.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Selma went to China as an explorer but I ignored it because it is annoying when the game pulls sims from your town to go on vacation with you.

Amira has finally gotten over her dislike of everything and everyone. Yay!

4 comments:

  1. Sim Fu. Proven marriage fixer upper. :D

    Love how Michael originally went to prove his worth and instead accidentally proved his point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sim Fu to the rescue!

      Amira can be pretty self involved. Luckily she realized what Michael has been saying all this time.

      Delete
  2. D'aw. Things are finally looking up for that relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally poor Michael can be happy. Amira was angry with him for so long.

      Delete